Fondation Hirondelle is looking for an Editor in Chief/Head of Media for Radio Miraya in South Sudan, a partnership between the United Nations and Fondation Hirondelle
Tasks and responsibilities
- Coordinate and implement the program content grid and all the production elements of Radio Miraya
- Apply the Radio Miraya editorial policy
- Develop and implement the program schedule
- Manage a team of journalists, presenters, technicians and other staff involved in the radio’s operations – Liaise with UN Chief of Radio and other partners
- Qualified journalist with experience of at least five years as Editor in Chief or in a similar position, strong leadership and editorial management capacities
- Ability to manage and organise administrative, financial and technical components of a radio station
- Excellent command of English. Knowledge of Arabic is an asset but not mandatory
- Excellent ability to work under pressure in conflict environments; experience in conflict zones / Africa highly desirable
- Commitment to Fondation Hirondelle’s values and ethics.
- Based in Juba, South Sudan
- Starting date: January 1, 2011 or sooner
- Competitive salary and package
Fondation Hirondelle, Media for Peace and Human Dignity has been creating independent media in conflict zones since 1995 (www.hirondelle.org). We believe that independent information is a fundamental right, and that it is also vital for peace and reconstruction in war-torn countries.
Our teams have been working in Sudan since 2006 with Radio Miraya, through a partnership with the United Nations Mission in Sudan (UNMIS). The partnership continues today with the new United Nations Mission in South Sudan (UNMISS). Prior to the South Sudan Independence in July 2011, Radio Miraya has adopted a new radio model to enable it to accompany the South Sudan population through the creation and development of this new State.
Interested parties please send cover letter, detailed resume and appropriate attachments to firstname.lastname@example.org by November 15, 2011 with the position title in the subject line.